UST in limbo against FEU

14 07 2007

High shooting percentage and excellent team defense delivered the Far Eastern University Tamaraws’ first victory over the University of Santo Tomas Growling Tigers, 81-66, in the UAAP Season ’70 at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium last July 14.

The Tamaraws shot 50% from the paint while the Coach Pido Jarencio’s Growling Tigers delivered only 40.91% to claim their 2nd loss.

Bench scoring was also the key for the Tamaraws producing a hefty 50 points. Marlon Adolfo and Paul Sanga were the top scorers with each making 15 points for the Morayta-based club.

FEU started strong, igniting a 9-0 run for the first 3 minutes of the 1st quarter. Adolfo’s back-to-back 3’s and 2-point FG’s gave the Tamaraws an 11-point lead. JR Cawaling’s buzzer beater trey ended the quarter, 26-10, with the Tamaraws convincingly on top.

In the 2nd quarter, both teams settled for outside shots. Sanga scored 6 of FEU’s 15 after a three-point play and a shot from the top of the key with 7 minutes remaining. Jervy Cruz, Japs Cuan and Dylan Ababou contributed 3 points a piece. The 1st half ended with a 19-point deficit for the Growling Tigers, 41-23.

Both teams scored 20 points in the 3rd quarter. Cruz and Ababou combined for 12 points while Sanga made a hefty 9 points for the Tamaraws. FEU was still on top by 18 points after 3 quarters of action.

In the final quarter, FEU led by as much as 24 points after Sanny Abaring made a 3-point basket with 8:10 left to play.

But a shot form Mark Canlas with 5:20 minutes remaining sparked a 15-0 run for the struggling Growling Tigers. Canlas’ shot was followed by a basket from Khasim Mirza. Cuan scored a three and another field goal that cut the lead down to 15 points. Mirza was fouled and completed a 3-point play with 3 minutes left in regulation, 72-60. Cruz’s free throw made it a 9-point game with 2:24 in the clock.

But Mark Barroca was left open. His basket stopped the Growling Tigers’ run in the last 2 minutes of the game. Fresh from the bench, Ron Cabagnot was nearly called for a technical foul after reacting almost violently to a foul by Cruz. His 2/2 FTs was followed by a shot from Jens Knuttel. Rum Perry Scott’s final basket ended the game with FEU winning by a huge margin, 81-66. Coach Glenn Capacio was overwhelmed with the way his boys played.

“I hope we play this way in our 3rd game against La Salle. I hope we’ll be able to see their weakness,” said Coach Glenn, adding that La Salle is still beatable.

FEU plays the Archers on Thursday, July 19 at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium. UST will try to finally win a match when they face Adamson also on Thursday.

Individual Scores:

FEU- 81

Sanga-15, Adolfo-15, Cawaling-11, Gerilla-8, Barroca-7, Baracael-6, Fernandez-5, Abaring-3, Reyes-3, Cervantes-2, Ramos-2, Knuttel-2, Cabagnot-2, Alisbo-0, Tanuan-0.

UST- 66

Cruz-19, Mirza-11, Cuan-10, Ababou-8, Canlas-6, Scott-4, Espiritu-3, Allera-3, Dizon-2, Basa-0, Badua-0, Taylor-0, Cortez-0.

Quarter Scores:

26-10, 41-23, 61-43, 81-66.




One response

16 07 2007

wow!!..amazing!keep it up

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: