NCAA games will continue – Supan

24 08 2007

Forget those rumors, the 83rd National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) basketball season will continue while waiting for the final decision at the Manila Regional Trial Court regarding the case of San Beda star Yousif Aljamal.

“We never entertained the thought of aborting the season,” said Management Committee Chairman Paul Supan of host Jose Rizal University. “We are denying those negative reports that we are going to cancel all games.”

Most broadsheet papers have reported that NCAA caging might be scrapped due to San Beda’s action after the Manila Trial Court issued a 72-hour Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) to allow Aljamal from playing.

Aljamal, picked at eighth by Air21 last week in the 2007 PBA draft, was suspended by the NCAA policy board last August 21 for three games in the elimination round after failing to ask permission from the NCAA Management Committee.

San Beda, armed with legal ammunitions, is set to put the case on higher court.

But despite the action, the NCAA never thought of suspending or even postponing the entire 83rd basketball season.

Last Friday morning, Supan met with the Policy Board, led by its president Vincent K. Fabella of Jose Rizal University, as well as the NCAA lawyers from Mapua Atty. Jose Manuel Diokno III to discuss the TRO.

They presented all the evidences and documents at the Manila RTC Branch No. 33.

Before the NCAA Policy Board released its three-game suspension order on Aljamal, San Beda, through President Fr. Mateo de Jesus, had asked the Manila RTC for a 72-hour TRO to prevent the suspension order.

“Since it is with the court already, we cannot talk about the case. The NCAA hopes that San Beda would do the same,” said Supan.

“Rest assured that while the court proceedings are taking place, the games will continue,” he said.

The NCAA Management Committee (Man Com) also denied Saturday published reports from different newspapers and broadsheets that giant-TV network ABS CBN is threatening to sue the NCAA.

“It’s not true,” said Henry Atayde of CSB. “They never told that to us. It only came from few people who are trying to jeopardize the league.”

Advertisements

Actions

Information

16 responses

25 08 2007
wiredfreak

At last rumors about suing the ncaa and canceling the season is over.

Let’s continue with the games!

Go San Beda Fight! 3X – That in all things God may be glorified!

26 08 2007
Timeline

ManCom’s veiled threat failed.

ABS-CBN called all the NCAA schools to scrap the plan. Otherwise, ABS-CBN will also sue the NCAA for damages.

26 08 2007
Timeline

Mr. Ramos, kindly pursue the storyline I suggested.

That’s a better story than this.

26 08 2007
Timeline

To quote:

“Most broadsheet papers have reported that NCAA caging might be scrapped due to San Beda’s action after the Manila Trial Court issued a 72-hour Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) to allow Aljamal from playing.”

Rumors?

The Mancom backed off after receiving calls from ABS-CBN. Ask ABS-CBN if they called the schools.

That’s another good story.

Timeline again.

August 8 – Mancom letter suspending Aljmal.

August 21- The letter was receuved by San Beda.

What happened in between the date of the suspension letter and the date of receipt by San Beda.

What else the PBA camp and draft. What the? A memo to suspend Aljamal was already prepared even prior to the PBA rookie camp/draft.

This is a much better story. Why so quiet about the discrepancy? I know, it’s with the Regional Trial Court already.

Nice story don’t you think so?

26 08 2007
buking

Nauna pa yung suspension letter bago pa nagkaroon ng PBA draft? Ay buking kayo diyan.

Ano kaso naman kaya ang pwedeng isampa sa mga pumirma niyan? Patay! Talaga kayo sa San Beda.

Mukhang papasok na din ang NBI sa usapan.

26 08 2007
atom

the NBI as i was told is now looking at it right now…

26 08 2007
atom

SBC, with it’s army of alumni and battery of lawyers?

tutuluyan ito…

malinaw na ang intensyon ng liga ay madumi – bakit kailangan pa ng SBC na maging diplomatic? trust and respect is already GONE.

26 08 2007
atom

mr. ramos,

i request that you also inquire on the suspensions of the JRU players who should have been slapped by game suspensions… on the deliberate fouls… even an idiot will know that there was intent to hurt…

pls include the JRU players who went to the SBC bench…

Mr. Narvasa is doing what? Learn from Comm Bernardino, kid. Otherwise, you will be branded as an AMATEUR>

26 08 2007
The Green Mind

Pareng Josef,

Mukhang ikaw na ang “Most Controversial Writer” ng inboundpass.com. I gladly pass that honor to you.

But, I salute you for writing what you believe in rather than what is popular. Kudos my friend.

26 08 2007
TheTruth

Henry Atayde is a one big *toot toot*. He acts as if he’s intelligent. He better be sucking orbeta’s *toot toot* first.

26 08 2007
Timeline

The NBI, Mr. Ramos, will be coming into the picture.

Timeline again.

August 8 – Mancom letter suspending Aljmal.

August 21- The letter was receuved by San Beda.

What happened in between the date of the suspension letter and the date of receipt by San Beda.

What else the PBA camp and draft. What the? A memo to suspend Aljamal was already prepared even prior to the PBA rookie camp/draft.

This is a much better story. Why so quiet about the discrepancy? I know, it’s with the Regional Trial Court already.

Nice story don’t you think so?

26 08 2007
Timeline

Why the change of heart by the NCAA:

IF CAGE SEASON CANCELED ABS-CBN to sue NCAA
By Julius Manicad of the Daily Tribune

08/25/2007

Broadcast giant ABS-CBN yesterday expressed alarm over a reported plan by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) to cancel its 83rd basketball season after the league’s management committee (Mancom) mishandled its suspension of San Beda player Yousif Aljamal this week.

The Mancom had earlier banned Aljamal for the rest of the season after the Red Lion participated in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) rookie draft last week without seeking the league’s permission.

The Mancom, however, reduced the sanction to three playing dates, but not after San Beda management was able to secure a temporary restraining order (TRO) from a Manila court. Also because of this, Mancom was said to be planning to impose a permanent ban on Aljamal while some members have suggested “scrapping” this year’s basketball tournament if the league could not stand the heat of the Aljamal issue.

A ranking league member revealed the plan to several newspapers the other day, but officials from host school Jose Rizal University denied it was ever suggested.

Jose Rizal University and San Beda College are tipped to figure in the NCAA basketball finals. San Beda officials, however, have indirectly accused JRU officials of using their clout as league host in tilting the balance in their favor.

The NCAA has been rocked by many controversies this year, including last month’s arrest of one player and several other personalities for their involvement in illegal gambling activities using the league’s basketball games as their base of operation. A near-brawl also erupted middle of this week between two coaches.

But league problems did not end there as Aljamal’s case has spawned many others, including a possible court case to be filed by ABS-CBN should the league take measures not consonant with its contract with its broadcast arm.

A highly reliable source revealed ABS-CBN executive vice president for sports Peter Musngi, phoned almost all of members of the NCAA policy board verify the planned cancellation of the basketball matches if San Beda seeks a court order to allow Aljamal to play.

School presidents, however, have apparently assured Musngi that everything is under control, but the media executive reminded them the league is under contract with ABS-CBN for five years. The deal was sealed this year and will lapse only after Season 87 in 2011.

Musngi reportedly told the NCAA officials ABS-CBN is also under contract with sponsors and advertisers for the NCAA coverage. There are at least 10 companies advertising on ABS-CBN’s NCAA television coverage which airs Wednesdays and Fridays.

Musngi, however, contested the veracity of the source’s claim, claiming he remains solidly behind every move of the NCAA policy board and the Mancom.

Musngi, who also oversees the coverage of the NCAA’s rival league, University Athletic Association (UAAP), admitted that scrapping the ongoing cage season will deeply hurt business, but he strongly believes the NCAA will overcome this controversy since it is composed of “very respectable people with high moral character.” He said they are still talking right now and it is quite hard to preempt the outcome of their discussion.

No lawsuit will also be filed, not unless the NCAA arrives at something with finality.

“No, that’s not true, I know they will soon come up with a very likely solution to settle this issue,” Musngi said during a phone interview. “I don’t think we should contemplate on doing anything at this point. We’ll just wait and let the Mancom and the policy board to decide.”

With troubles left and right caused by the filing of TROs and on-court brawls and suspensions, ABS-CBN almost withdrew its partnership with NCAA before. But the network held on, something that Musngi is trying to keep until now.

“That’s exactly the same case before, but the league maintained its stand and resolved the problem. I think they will also solve this one,” he said.

Meanwhile, Paul Supan of host JRU finally proceeded to the Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 173 armed with his own set of lawyers to represent the league in its legal tussle with San Beda following the lapse of the 72-hour TRO secured by the Red Lions last Wednesday. The NCAA counsel is composed of two lawyers from JRU, one from San Beda and an independent lawyer, Jose Manuel Diokno.

26 08 2007
Timeline

ABS-CBN made a “courtesy” call.

Mr. Ramos, why was this important informantion not mentioned in your article?

27 08 2007
josef ramos

Timeline.. That article came from tribune is not true.

It was already denied by Peter Musngi, ABS CBN sports.

They will not sue the NCAA because the NCAA has no intention to close shop.

NCAA also deny that they will scrap the basketball season.

Musngi also said he doesn’t believe that NCAA will do it even in dreams.

The announcement of scrapping the NCAA and the sue of ABS CBN is only a personal opinion made by certain people who have vested interest…

That’s all…

27 08 2007
josef ramos

By the way, I don’t write fake stories… I just write what is true

27 08 2007
josef ramos

Thank you Green Mind but this is “hell of responsibility.”

We have no proof if the Man Com will suspend Aljamal before the PBA draft.

But suspending him the entire season is wrong…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: